MEMBER SERVICES Q&A: Changing the name on your account


Theresa Kuhn, member service representative

Q: After my grandparents passed away, I moved into their home and started paying the electric bill. The account is still in my grandfather’s name. Do I need to update the account information? 
A: I’m sorry to hear about your grandparents. Now that you live in their home, there are good reasons to close the account and open a new one in your name. 
First, only the Bluebonnet co-op member listed on the account can make changes to the account. Having trouble paying your bill? Have a new phone number or address? Need a security light or another meter? You have to be listed on the account to take care of these matters. 
In addition, when you report a power outage, you’ll get faster service if the phone number you call from is associated with the address on your account. That allows us to automatically pinpoint the outage and dispatch a repair crew to your house or business much faster. 
Another benefit of being a Bluebonnet member is the opportunity to vote during the co-op’s Annual Meeting that is held every May. This may include choosing who governs the co-op or deciding on important business matters. Members who attend the Annual Meeting also get updates on co-op business and have a chance to win prizes. 
You may also be entitled to some money, especially if you’re a beneficiary of your grandfather’s estate. His estate may be eligible to retire the capital credits (a share of annual co-op profits) on the account early and receive a check. 
If you’re solely responsible for paying the electric bill for an account that is in the name of an estate, you should consider putting the account in your name. By doing so, you would accumulate the capital credits in your name, rather than the estate accumulating them and possibly going to multiple beneficiaries. 
Ready to update the account? Call Bluebonnet member services at 800-842-7708 or visit one of our five member service centers in Bastrop, Brenham, Giddings, Lockhart or Manor. 
If the account needs to be transferred to an estate name, you’ll need to bring the death certificate or executor papers to a member service center. While this is not a complicated process, there are a few checks and balances. We want to be sure we’re giving the capital credits to the correct party. 
Questions? Email or call us at 800-842-7708 during business hours (Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.).
– Theresa Kuhn, member service representative

Would you like to see your question featured in Bluebonnet’s pages in Texas Co-op Power magazine? We will also put the Q&A on our website, CLICK HERE to send us an email.


« Return to News